Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for riders of all levels.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ghetto Freecoaster

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Steez

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 am

I am looking to make a "ghetto freeecoaster"
because i find pedalling fakie a huge pain.
On you tube theres a video but it requires a coaster brake which I dont have.
Heres The Link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA5BzpAk9-g
is there any way to turn a cassette hub into a freecoaster.
And dont say just buy one because i dont have any money
Back to top Go down
NigelThornberry
NigelThornberry

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 7:40 am

take off your chain. Trust me, a freecoaster is not any easier to fakie.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:13 am

Yeah chain is about it a coaster brake only works with the big 16 tooth freewheels or whatever.

Also it does make it a whole lot harder to fakie and turn out aswell.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com
Steez

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:51 am

ok cool
thanks for the help
ill just keep on practicing
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:26 am

Yeah but if you ever do get money and decide to get a freecoaster i wouldnt reccomend buying one because they break really easily.
Back to top Go down
scholzee
scholzee

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Only if your a noob at riding one. Bro.
I think I'm the only person on here rollin' a coaster so I'll give you some tips.

Ride Chainless for about a week or 2. Try to get sliders, half cabs and flick outs with out relying on your pedal pressure to help turn you around. That's what causes the coasters to shit themselves. DON'T USE PEDAL PRESSURE! ITS DEATH FOR COASTERS.

If you enjoy riding Chainless you might aswell Invest in a coaster. Just have to make sure to look after it. Pull apart, wipe all the grease off, re-grease with new grease, check the bearings and put it back together again atleast once or twice a month. It may seem like a pain in the arse but it literally takes 5-10 minutes to do it.

Another thing, I love it how people automatically assume that riding coaster is easy (I'm not having a dig at you man). It isn't. You have to have pretty decent balance, cause on a cassette you pedaling backwards somewhat helps as balance. On a coaster if you just lean to the side a tad you'll most likely start turning or take your foot off instantly because your not rolling straight.

Admin, I'm not trying to be a dick in the matter but, straight up, you sounded like a tosspot right there. Everyone thinks that. Just because the break bearings doesn't automatically mean that they break really easy. It takes a person to not know what he is doing and bam you need new bearings.

And Mate straight up. Learn to fakie first on a cassette, so you know what to do. Then do the whole take chain off ride chainless. Trust me on this one kiddo.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Yeah very informative schollzee but the reason i said they break alot is because my friend is very good at freecoasting and he has the full cabs and everything dialed and his coaster broke because he needed to add one spacer for slack or something and it trashed the whole thing and he needed all of the components to run it again. Also every one ive met who has one loves the freecoaster but they hate all the maintnance it takes. Also i think they are harder and feel a little scratchy.
Back to top Go down
scholzee
scholzee

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:23 am

Ah ok. It is most likely he needed to take out one spacer as a full crank of gap won't engage and trash the internals when trying tricks. It is a love hate situation with them, but if you wanna run one you got to put in the time to look after it.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 7:52 am

Yeah he likes it but hates it at the same time.
Back to top Go down
MarauderdOutFBM
MarauderdOutFBM

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:40 am

wait chainless???
Back to top Go down
scholzee
scholzee

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Yes Chainless. It's were you take your chain off. You push like your on a scooter and its like riding a freecoaster minus the pedalling.
Back to top Go down
MarauderdOutFBM
MarauderdOutFBM

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 5:58 am

i dont get it...whats the point?
Back to top Go down
scholzee
scholzee

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 pm

I thought it was easy to get. So I'll just write a story.

Before I bought my freecoaster I rode chainless for about 2-3 weeks to get the feel of what freecoasting is like. I enjoyed the process of riding chainless so I proceeded to buy one.

So long story short. You ride chainless to get a feel of what a coaster feels like.

And if you don't know what freecoasting is. Then I won't be able to take you seriously any more.
Back to top Go down
Steez

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:11 am

cool
thanks for the tip scholzee. i think ill just practice more because i dont like the idea of having no chain. it kind of defeats the purpose of it being a bike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ghetto Freecoaster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Freecoaster   Ghetto Freecoaster I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ghetto Freecoaster
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: BMX Central :: General BMX Discussion-
Jump to: