Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for riders of all levels.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to do a Rolling Whiplash

Go down 
+2
Nazsh
WestCoastFlatlander
6 posters
AuthorMessage
WestCoastFlatlander
WestCoastFlatlander

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-03-08

How to do a Rolling Whiplash Empty
PostSubject: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 8:24 pm

This trick is a staple Flatland trick, but one that can also be used in Park or Street riding. It is definitely one that shows you have great control of your bike, and a keen sense of balance. You can do it anywhere, at any time... especially when a hot girl walks by. lol
So here's what it looks like... (performed by yours truly)
The key to this trick is balance on the front wheel, and that comes totally from body positioning.

Firstly, you'll need pegs on both sides on the front wheel. Your bike might not be set up this way, but if it is, here's how u do it...

Ok, so I like to break down a trick into sections when I'm learning it. For whiplashes, the best place to start is to get comfortable with placing all your weight on the front end of the bike. To do this, start by rolling in a straight line, with your left leg on the front left peg, and your right leg on the rear left peg, putting your whole body on the left side of the bike. (I start like this because I kick the frame around anti-clockwise).
Now, make sure your head and shoulders are positioned inline with the bars, (You don't want to be behind the bars, it's a bad habit to pick up on this trick) and have your front leg almost touching the bars, too. Now just start pushing off the back peg and putting all your weight on the front leg. Be sure to push your head and shoulders forward as you do this, too. If you don't move your head and shoulders forward, as soon as the back-end comes off the ground, it will drop straight down again, because all your body weight is not over the front wheel. The aim here, is to 'un-weight' the back end of the bike, by putting all your weight over the front of the bike.
Just roll along the length of a basketball court or car-park, practising this part for a while, untill you can roll for a second or two on the front wheel only. It will be a lot of repetition, just rolling forwards and pushing up onto the front of the bike, but it's vital for learning to balance on the front wheel... to 'un-weight' the back wheel. You should have it within an hour.

Once you've mastered that part, you'll notice that as you're rolling on the front wheel, the back end will naturally start to swing around to the front. You want to assist this swing, by gently kicking the frame with your right leg, at the same time as you push forward onto the front wheel. As soon as the frame gets to 180 degrees (halfway around), place your right foot on the right peg and take your left foot off the left peg (foot switch) and try to catch the frame as it completes the swing around, by aiming for the seat post with your left foot. It will take a while to master this section, but once you get it, you will have Whiplashes down pat Smile
At all times, keep your head forward. All novices fail this trick because thier head isn't positioned forward enough, and the bike just drops back down as soon as they kick the back end around. Also, it helps a lot to push the bars forward just a little, as soon as you lean forward to get onto the front wheel.

Have fun with this trick, it's fun to just bust one out at any time, on the way to ur riding spot, or infront of passer-bys Smile
It's difficult to learn, but stick with it. ALL tricks feel awkward at first, but if I can do it, so can you Smile
Back to top Go down
Nazsh
Nazsh

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:13 am

Wow, that looks sweeet.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:40 am

Ok that was very informative very nice job. I just have a couple questions though. I mainly ride street and do manuals and 360's etc. The thing is i seem like i catch myself doing some flatland time to time. So i was wondering would i need to have a flatland frame and front and back brakes to do some flatland moves like the mega spin and some others. Basically what could i do with pegs on the right and slammed seat because right now the closest thing i can think of that i can do is a one handed peg manual.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:45 am

Yeah that was sweet man. Same questions as Admin here, do we need flatland frames to do this?
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com/forum.htm
WestCoastFlatlander
WestCoastFlatlander

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Hey fellas Smile Thanks for commenting on my How-To on this trick.
The good new is that you don't need any specific bike to do this trick, it can be done on any bmx, as long as it has 2 front pegs. Flatland bikes (like mine) are usually a few inches shorter than most bmx's, and lighter, too, so tricks like this one are gonna feel a lot easier on a Flatland bike. So all that means is that when you whip the frame around, as you kick it, it's going to feel heavier and slower.

I started out riding Flatland on a Hoffman Disruptor, with a 20.5tt, weighing around 15kgs... one of my bikes now is a KGB Psyconnexion, with an 18.0tt and it weighs around 9kgs.

Admin, if you find urself doing some Flatland from time to time, perhaps bring another set of pegs with you when you session, and throw them on for 30mins at the end of ur session, to work on some Flatland, even if it's just to develop your tech side of things, or to mix up your riding a bit. Things like decades, Hang-5's, Hang Nothings, etc... are all tricks used by Park pros, in their runs from time to time.

Later today, I will post up a How-To on the 'Hang-5'... a sweet tech trick for park riders, and another one you can bust out anywhere Smile

Oh, and if there is any Flatland trick you fellas wanna know how to do, I can do a Hot-To on that for you, just request it here. Only thing is, I can't do a Mega-Spin. lol
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 12:48 pm

sounds cool i might start running 4 pegs and start grinding on the left so i can grind both ways and throw some more flatland into the mix.

I also do this thing sometimes where i will stand on my right pegs and turn the bars while im on the pegs so im looking at the seat and lift the back end up a little and do a nose manual for a second or two but i was wondering what that might be and what i could throw into it.

Your a great flatlander btw
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com
WestCoastFlatlander
WestCoastFlatlander

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:44 pm

Quote :
I also do this thing sometimes where i will
stand on my right pegs and turn the bars while im on the pegs so im
looking at the seat and lift the back end up a little and do a nose
manual for a second or two but i was wondering what that might be and
what i could throw into it.

Man, I could do a decade before I even KNEW what that trick was. lol It's called a Fork Glide (the spin and roll part), and when you lift the back end up and roll on the front wheel, that's called a Steamroller. Thanks for the props, btw Smile

Ok, time to write up the Hang-5 how-to.
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:33 am

Damn if always wanted to be able to do thos
Back to top Go down
nickoz

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:44 am

help! i cant bunnyhop. but i guess practice makes perfect.
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:49 am

nickoz wrote:
help! i cant bunnyhop. but i guess practice makes perfect.

You can't bunnyhop so you decide to post in the "How to do a rolling whiplash thread" rather than the "How to bunnyhop thread". Your stupidity baffles me.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com/forum.htm
nickoz

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:10 am

sorry i didnt mean to post it here. im a noob
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Rolling Whiplash   How to do a Rolling Whiplash I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to do a Rolling Whiplash
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: BMX Central :: How to's-
Jump to: