Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for riders of all levels.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!

Go down 
+2
Vistagecko
nickoz
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nickoz

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-03-09

New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! Empty
PostSubject: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:24 am

So, here's the deal. I asked this question on Yahho! Answers and the only answer I got was the link to this site, so I checked it out.

So here's my question.

Lately, I've been into watching BMX videos and such, and thought to myself I want to BMX too!

I just need some help, I'm new to this. I want to know a good bike for me to get. A begginer bike.
I live in the middle of nowhere, but I'm close to a bunch of towns around my area. I would be interested in Street riding or maybe Dirt. But if you guys could give me some advise on bikes or just tips for me that would be great! Thanks
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:29 am

Good bike. That there is a fine piece of biking equipment. Welcome to We-bmx. Let us know if that is in your price range. If you would like something cheaper, but not as nice, we can adjust.

Enjoy your stay.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com/forum.htm
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:54 am

Yeah u need a bike first. I would suggest the one in the link vista reccomended because it is a very very good bike for the price but if its to much we can try and adjust.

Next once you get your bike you will want to learn the basics like the bunnyhop.

Also im guessing you might start riding dirt since your in the middle of no where so you will have to start digging but i can give you some advice on what you need and how to build.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 5:25 am

yeah. its a nice bike. thanks. but if i get this bike will i be able to ride it dirt then maybe like also use it to ride around the towns and skateparks? or is it just good for one thing?
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 5:31 am

It is a multi purpose bike. It has nice sealed parts. Which means you can take it in the mud for a few hours and then immediately hit the skate park. It is a gorgeous, low maintenance bike,and for the price, you can't beat it.
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:23 am

yeah. hey thanks alot guys!

a little concern though, i noticed all the BMX bikes have the handlebars that just go straight across. they arnt curved in towards you. i tried a cheap-o bmx out at a wal-mart just to see what they feel like and it felt a little akward, im used to riding my normal bike with the handle bars coming in towards me. i'll get used to it if i get one right?
Back to top Go down
Nazsh
Nazsh

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:36 am

Yea just ride it a lot and feel the bike. Be the bike. Once you do that you can try tricks.
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:46 am

cool! im ready! you know whats funny? i checked out the company that made the bike you guy's sugessted. it was a Kink. and i checked them out online and here it turns out that their main place is where i was born in NY, its in Rochester. to bad i dont live there anymore though Sad
Back to top Go down
Nazsh
Nazsh

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:47 am

That's cool and sucks I guess.
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:49 am

yeah becuase Rochester was so much bigger then the place i live now.....as you can see in my info. i live in the middle of nowhere. haaha
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:52 am

yeah just order it on dans and you can ride anywhere on the kink gap but you will probably be doing dirt more than street or park considering your in the middle of nowhere
Back to top Go down
Nazsh
Nazsh

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 am

Is it possible to live in the middle of no where? I mean it has to be somewhere!
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:57 am

well there are some houses around me. but its pretty much like you have to drive 20 minutes to get to the nearest store like wal-mart or anything.but i live about 30 minutes from a pretty big town. there's about 40,000 people there.haha so i guess im not really in the middle of nowhere. i am somewhere
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:59 am

wait, another question. i was checking out danscomp.com and i saw that they have a catalog. its free right? i just fill in the stuff and they send you one?
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 5:00 am

nickoz wrote:
well there are some houses around me. but its pretty much like you have to drive 20 minutes to get to the nearest store like wal-mart or anything.but i live about 30 minutes from a pretty big town. there's about 40,000 people there.haha so i guess im not really in the middle of nowhere. i am somewhere

Are we playing 20 questions? Yes the catalog is free. I got mine free with my last order, so I'm not sure if you have to pay for separate shipping.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 am

you get a free magazine every month when you buy something from them
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 am

hey do you guys have a link to another bike thats like the Kink Gap. is there anything a little cheaper? a good bike that can do dirt then go into a skatepark... thanks
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:59 am

Do you have a price range on your max amount? "Cheaper" is a very manipulative word. $10 is cheaper but then again so is $100.

Keep in mind a higher price generally means better quality, and better stock parts will save you a bundle in the long run. I took the cheap route and bought a cheaper BMX bike, and I've had to put almost $250 into it on top of the price I payed. And I still need to do more. If only I'd saved another $60, this could have all been avoided... Learn from my mistakes and don't cheap out. (God I sounds like my mother.)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:02 am

Yeah same here I took the same route as vista twice and i have deffinately learned from my mistakes and decided to help other people from having the same thing happen.
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 6:42 am

you sound like my mother too. haha but i guess. i mean, whats a couple bucks more. it's not even that expensive. thanks guys
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 4:24 am

Admin wrote:
Yeah u need a bike first. I would suggest the one in the link vista reccomended because it is a very very good bike for the price but if its to much we can try and adjust.

Next once you get your bike you will want to learn the basics like the bunnyhop.

Also im guessing you might start riding dirt since your in the middle of no where so you will have to start digging but i can give you some advice on what you need and how to build.

so what do i need to do to get ready for my bike. i wanna start building ramps and stuff. you said you could help? thanks
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 4:31 am

nickoz wrote:

so what do i need to do to get ready for my bike. i wanna start building ramps and stuff. you said you could help? thanks

You don't really need to learn too much about ramps until you get the bike. I would recommend riding it for about a week before you start jumping it.

I don't know too much about dirt ramps, but, a wooden ramp is very simple. All you need is a sheet a ply wood, 2 supporting 2x4s, some screws, and a power drill. Take the plywood and lay it up against the 2x4. Screw down 2 screws into the plywood, near the end, into both 2x4s. Make sure it is secure, by jumping on it a few times. Final step, ride it.
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:06 am

also. i noticed on the Kink Gap that there are only grinding peg things on only one side....why is that? and can i put them on the other side too?
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:53 am

nickoz wrote:
also. i noticed on the Kink Gap that there are only grinding peg things on only one side....why is that? and can i put them on the other side too?

You can move the pegs anywhere on the bike you want. As long as you have a socket wrench, you can move them all around.
Back to top Go down
nickoz

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:00 am

can i add on more to the other sides?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!   New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to BMX. Need advice on a bike to get!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next