Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for riders of all levels.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ramtotherodder33
ramtotherodder33

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-03-19

If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! Empty
PostSubject: If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!   If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:24 pm

ok i live in a small town were there is hardly anything to ride.we got a few gaps and ledges and a few dirt jumps.Im going to va beace va were i used to live for 3 weeks and they have a skatepark,a actuall dirt jump trail/track,and leges and gaps everywere. my dad said hes not paying the extra 100 each way to fly with my bike and hes not paying to have it shipped.the plane tickets are orderd so thats that. ive heard of people breaking the bike down and putting them in their suitcases. has anyone every done this. or is there anyway i can get my bike on and off a plane without any cost.????
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-26

If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!   If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:38 pm

no you gotta take it apart...they have bike carrying cases on danscomp
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!   If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:52 pm

You just check the bike i believe and they put it in the bottom of the plane just like some people do with luggage. My moms a flight attendant. I think its like 10$ or something to do that. Im pretty sure you cant carry it on board though because it wont fit under your seat or the overhead bins. So just find out about checking your bags.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com
poizone
poizone

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!   If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 12:27 am

Make sure you don't have a sticker for the band "This bike is a pipe bomb" on your bike. Memphis airport blew up a bike for that. Same with OU.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!   If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 2:04 am

^^^lol
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!   If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:51 am

poizone wrote:
Make sure you don't have a sticker for the band "This bike is a pipe bomb" on your bike. Memphis airport blew up a bike for that. Same with OU.
really??? lol
Back to top Go down
WestCoastFlatlander
WestCoastFlatlander

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!   If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 7:45 pm

I can't really comment on the US restrictions for flying with a bike, as I live in Australia, but I regularly fly with my bike, here. We are allowed a certain weight for our checked-in luggage,, regardless of what it might be, and you can purchase more weight allowance, for an extra $8, allowing another 24kgs per person. I took my bike to Canada, one year, and when I passed through L.A., they slogged me $80 for the bike box. I only had 1 suitcase and a bike box, and my ticket allowed me 2 pieces of luggage, but because it was a bike, they charged me, regardless of what my ticket allowed me. If it were golf clubs or a surfboard, they don't charge you, but bikes, they do. It's ridiculous. I argued the point with the guy, but ended up having to pay. I would put all the parts into a suitcase, and just wrap up the frame in bubble wrap and tape, and they cant charge it as a bike, because its just a piece of metal. . it'll only weigh a few pounds, so they shouldnt charge you anything. To be safe, though, I would call the airline and find out the exact details before trying to take ur bike. Better to be sure, that way, with just one phone call.
Back to top Go down
poizone
poizone

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!   If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:20 am

Putting a large amount of tubular metal in a suitcase causes the airport security to think it's a pipe bomb. Don't put it in a suitcase. That'll get it blown up. Stupid homeland security...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!   If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you have ever flown on a plane with a bmx bike or known somebody who flew with one i need your help!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: BMX Central :: General BMX Discussion-
Jump to: