Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for riders of all levels.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hi, new here, Northern California

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
katman
katman

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Hi, new here, Northern California Empty
PostSubject: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 am

I see the eternal question is where do I get the best bike for cheap. I'm not going to ask but searching for a bike did bring me to this forum. I currently ride a $90 piece of lead from Walmart to work and back in the morning. (about a dozen blocks or so). In the afternoon I take the 77 Datsun. I started wondering what $100 to $150 would get me in a used/new flatlander. Its not that I am into flatland so much just that I don't ride in the dirt or at the local skate park. I basically do a little bit of curb hopping on the way to work and back. The wally world bike is quite heavy and it would be so much more fun if I had something light enough to actually get off the ground. Co-worker suggested looking at some Redline bike at the Sports LTD store in Chico. No clue what/if they have anything I would want.

This is all so low key I may not remember to come back and check this post so don't get offended if I don't answer back.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
katman
katman

PostSubject: Re: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:05 am

quote "I currently ride a $90 piece of lead from Walmart to work and back in the morning."

That doesn't look right. I BOUGHT the bike from Walmart. I don't work at Walmart, nor do I ride to work from there. Wink
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 am

Well fist and foremost, Welcome! I'm not sure if a flatland bike would suite your style of riding. Flatland frames are shorter in length (normally 18-19in.) Which means that you will most likely hit your knees on the handle bars. They are not very good cruising bikes.

I'm not sure if you will be able to get a BMX bike for $100-$150, yet alone a flatland bike which runs much higher. A decent BMX bike will run you about $300.

If you are using the bike for transportation and not much for anything else, a mountain bike or a road bike might be more your style.

The kink gap, a nice BMX bike.
The DK Havok. A light, BMX style bike, but not too great for skateparks.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com/forum.htm
katman
katman

PostSubject: Re: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 am

Eh, I should have mentioned. Yes I am using the bike for transportation
but I will gladly put up with some knee banging instead of just flaking
out and geting a speed bike. Case in point, today on the way home for
lunch. Probably a 1/4 of the way was rode on the back wheel with one
semi-major wipe out. If the bike wasn't so heavy the ride home would
include some curb jumping and general goofing off but it takes to much
effort with the current setup. Thats why I resort to just seeing how
much of a wheelie I can pull all the way home or anything else that
doesn't require to much physically throwing the bike around.

Thanks any way.
Back to top Go down
katman
katman

PostSubject: Re: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 am

my one and only co-worker rides a road bike, so its kind of a friendly debate about whats more fun. I'm sure he would love your reply for me. :-)
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 11:20 am

id say if ur just cruzing back and forth to and from work id say get a 24" redline cruiser

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bmxracing/bikes/proline-pro-cruiser.html

i used to have one and it was very comfortable and good for jumping or just riding to work
you could probably just by some street tires for it tho
Back to top Go down
katman
katman

PostSubject: Re: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 am

bmxchris256 wrote:
id say if ur just cruzing back and forth to and from work id say get a 24" redline cruiser

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bmxracing/bikes/proline-pro-cruiser.html

i used to have one and it was very comfortable and good for jumping or just riding to work
you could probably just by some street tires for it tho

Hey thanks, I'll check em out. Got a store in town the sells Redline.
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:14 am

Umm not sher you could probably just google redline shops near you or just go to a local bike shop and ask if they could get one for you
Back to top Go down
katman
katman

PostSubject: Re: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:17 am

Sorry man, I meant "I DO have a store in my town that sells Redline" 30 minutes away, Chico Ca.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi, new here, Northern California   Hi, new here, Northern California I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi, new here, Northern California
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: BMX Central :: New to BMX-
Jump to: