Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for riders of all levels.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

why wont my chain stay tight?

Go down 
+3
bmxchris256
Vistagecko
MarauderdOutFBM
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MarauderdOutFBM
MarauderdOutFBM

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-02-13

why wont my chain stay tight? Empty
PostSubject: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 6:09 am

i oull my tire back so the chain is tight then tighten the bolts while im pulling the tire and then when i hit a curb the chain gets loose...and then i hit the tire a couple of times and then its tight again...wtf? any tips??
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 6:16 am

You're not tightening the tire enough. You need to pull the tire back as hard as you can. Simultaneously, you need to tighten both bolts tight, really, really, tight.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com/forum.htm
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 7:21 am

Yeah....what do u use to tighten the bolts on ur back wheel???
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 am

A socket wrench. I have a friend hold the tire tight, while I tighten the bolts. It stays tighter that way.
Back to top Go down
MarauderdOutFBM
MarauderdOutFBM

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 am

i use a socket...i dont have any friends that BMX =(
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 7:46 am

Try useing a cross wrench like the ones for cars they work alot better u can tighten the bolts down more to
Back to top Go down
Steez

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 am

i had this same issue abd im pretty sure thats one of the factors of my chain breaking so you better fix it quick
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 9:03 am

Steez wrote:
i had this same issue abd im pretty sure thats one of the factors of my chain breaking so you better fix it quick

Thank you captain obvious.

Anyway, if you don't have a friend, ask your brother, Dad, someone that has two working arms. If you still are having the same problem, take out a link, and then repeat.
Back to top Go down
Shimamura

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 10:45 am

why not use a chain tensioner and tighten the bolt really hard. Do not tighten the bolt just by simply turning it harder you gotta push that wrench down hard.
Back to top Go down
MarauderdOutFBM
MarauderdOutFBM

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 7:40 am

trust me the bolts are oon tight sometimes i cant get them to loosen lol
Back to top Go down
poizone
poizone

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 7:46 am

How would I be able to tighten a chain that, even when you pull back, loosens itself. I tighten the bolt, and when it starts to close on the frame, the chain gets visibly looser. I have tried with myself, and two other people holding the wheel out. WTF!
Back to top Go down
murderedoutkink
murderedoutkink

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 11:02 pm

Mine does the same thing. Its hella annoying. Its even worse if u grind. What you need to do is def NOT tighten it super tight. I did that for awhile and it breaks your rear hub from tightening to tight. You need simple wheel slammers.

I made some of my own kind of and it works pretty good. Basically its a piece of metal this fits in that little space between the axle and curve of the dropout preventing it from sliding forward at all. It works great cause you don't have to tighten the rear to much.

so either make your own or measure it and buy some.
http://www.danscomp.com/440100.php?cat=PARTS

thats prolly one of the most annoying things ive delt with on my bike.
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:18 am

murderedoutkink wrote:
Mine does the same thing. Its hella annoying. Its even worse if u grind. What you need to do is def NOT tighten it super tight. I did that for awhile and it breaks your rear hub from tightening to tight. You need simple wheel slammers.

I made some of my own kind of and it works pretty good. Basically its a piece of metal this fits in that little space between the axle and curve of the dropout preventing it from sliding forward at all. It works great cause you don't have to tighten the rear to much.

the only time i have a problem with my wheel sliding forward is when i do ice picks on ledges and stuff like that....and the only time that cranking the fuck out of your bolts will ruin ur hub is if the inside bolts on ur hub the ones that keel the driver on and the bearings in are striped witch will lock up the hub....how did you make your own wheel slammer iv seen them on dans but iv just never got around to buying them and i dont know how id make them
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 5:38 am

It's just a washer. They're little round pieces of metal with a hole in the center, that you can pick up at your local hardware store for 0.50.

So will a wheel slammer prevent the wheel from sliding forward when I do ice picks or grinding? It's been happening a lot lately.
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 5:54 am

Vistagecko wrote:
It's just a washer. They're little round pieces of metal with a hole in the center, that you can pick up at your local hardware store for 0.50.

So will a wheel slammer prevent the wheel from sliding forward when I do ice picks or grinding? It's been happening a lot lately.
i know what a wheel slamer is...i looked on dans for one but the space between my axle and my frame is 12mm the bigest wheel slammer they have is 8mm
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 5:57 am

So get a 12mm washer.
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 5:58 am

they dont sell one
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 6:30 am

Vistagecko wrote:

Reading is a virtue.
Back to top Go down
poizone
poizone

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:08 am

Well, a new chain just fixed both the issues I was having... I think. I can easily tighten my chain and it won't do the untightening thing while I'm working. I'm guessing that a straightened sprocket helps too (Mine was all bent. That was VG's doing before I bought it.) And now I'm off to the park to see if this thing stays where it should. Total spent on the bike: $156. Amount needed to pay off the tools I borrowed money for: $52. Time spent riding around after fixing bike: Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else there's hard work and cold hard cash.
Back to top Go down
MarauderdOutFBM
MarauderdOutFBM

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:28 am

i have one already on my bike but i think its on the front axle....so i should put it on the back?
murderedoutkink wrote:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why wont my chain stay tight?   why wont my chain stay tight? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

why wont my chain stay tight?
Page 1 of 1