Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for riders of all levels.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Running a straight cable.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cody200694

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Running a straight cable. Empty
PostSubject: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:34 am

I have a 2008 gt compe for now. And i have a gyro. I know how to take off the gyro disk and that stuff. but the problem is on the bottom of my frame beneath the seat the brake splits into 2 and then connected to the brake. But i want to know if i buy a straight cable how do i split that into 2? i know im probably confusing you but ill show a picture.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Products/BMX/Free-Style/#2684

can someone post a video or something that could help me change the cable hanger? and what one would work for the bike i posted above. the link is the bike i have

Last edited by cody200694 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 11:58 am

[img]Running a straight cable. IMG_0380[/img]

[img]Running a straight cable. IMG_0381[/img]

just look at these pics if you still have questions ill try my best to answer them
Back to top Go down
Steez

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 12:18 am

thats just a cable hangar and it is on all bikes, strait cable or not
Back to top Go down
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:19 am

maby hes got thoes gyros where it has to seperate cable on the bottom instead of useing a cable hangar

Running a straight cable. Mid_511030
like this
Back to top Go down
cody200694

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:15 am

thats how my brakes are like the pic bmx chris posted. How do i chaneg that into a straight cable? im not looking to pay for anything expensive. I got animal brake cable on its way now and idk if i have to buy anything else
Back to top Go down
cody200694

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:39 am

can someone post a video or something that could help me change the cable hanger? and what one would work for the bike i posted above. the link is the bike i have
Back to top Go down
poizone
poizone

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:32 am

DIY cable hangar:

1. Go to the local hardware store and pick up a quarter inch bolt, with about half an inch of thread. Get three nuts of the same size to fit the bolt, preferably able to all be on eachother with an eighth of an inch left, or more.
2. Cut one of the old gyro cables out of the casing. This will be the double cable.
3. Find halfway on the cable, and mark it. Then mark .5 in from each side.
4. Put the first nut on to the bolt for a few turns. You should have a quarter inch of space at least left.
5. Place the halfway mark on the bolt, and wrap each side until the 1in mark hits the bolt. Tighten the first nut all the way while holding the cable here.
6. Take the end of your straight cable and wrap around in one complete circle. Tighten the second bolt on it. After following adjustment instructions, tighten the third on.
7. Now run the two ends through your brake, and put brake ends on to keep the cable from fraying (You may want to cut the cable if it protrudes out more than an inch and a half). Viola. You now have a custom cable "hanger".

ADJUSTMENT: Loosen the top two bolts slightly and pull the bolt towards your forks to tighten the brakes. Let it out to towards the tire to loosen the brakes. This is your rough adjustment. Fine tuning is on the brake lever.

NOTICE: I came up with this in my mind with no prior testing. All parts may be changed to suit your needs. This is the most simple hanger while still being safe. The two bolts on top prevent the setup from coming undone. No parts may be removed for safe operation.
Back to top Go down
cody200694

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 7:52 am

ok, anybody have a video? Lol i dont know how to mess with the cable hanger kit, and i dont know if i have to buy a new U-brake?
Back to top Go down
cody200694

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 7:58 am

do i need demolition u brakes if i want to use this https://www.danscomp.com/489010.php ?

or can i have a different one.
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

Number of posts : 395

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 10:09 am

Please do not double post. Edit your first post.

You can use a different U-brake for the Demolition cable hanger if you want.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com/forum.htm
bmxchris256
Forum legend
bmxchris256

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 1:59 pm

Just find a cheap cable hanged on dans and get an old streight cable and cut a smallish peice off
Back to top Go down
cody200694

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:34 am

another quick question. What do i need to run a straight cable, i have animal illegal cable, and ill order the demolition vulcan hanger kit, but is there anything else i need? like if i take off the gyro pieces do i need spacers?
Back to top Go down
poizone
poizone

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:42 am

yes, you do need spacers. You will also need a brake lever and brake, but those that came with the gyro are fine.
Back to top Go down
cody200694

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:44 am

ok how many spacers? and how do i know what size my headset is, do i get 1-1/8?
Back to top Go down
poizone
poizone

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:59 am

You'll need to look at your bike specs for headset size, but you should just measure the space left by the gyro and buy that size in spacers.
Back to top Go down
cody200694

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 7:54 am

ok, i have a gt compe 2008, but the gt compe 2009 which has 08 parts and 05 parts has a 1-1/8 threadless headset, so that would probable be the same size?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running a straight cable.   Running a straight cable. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Running a straight cable.
Page 1 of 1