Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for riders of all levels.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

which bike??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jjdd101

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-03-02

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 am

Hey everyone new here and to BMX, i know how to do some basics like bunnyhops and barspins. The problem is my bmx bike is from at least 6 years ago( i was about 9) and its a crappy 10,000 lb mongoose, i also have a trek mtn bike so im looking to get a new bmx bike, i am intrested in the kink gap and the dk helio i think the prices are the same so i just want to know which bike is better(lighter, can take lots of abuse, and longevity of each) thank you all.
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-02-12

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 5:29 am

The kink gap for sure. Admin has been recommending it to a lot of people. It has a nice sealed cassette which will hold up in the long run. It also features a nice 25T sprocket and is pretty light. It's a nice bike that will hold up for a while with minimal upgrades required.

The DK helio on the other hand is garbage. It's heavy, huge sprocket, unsealed rim, and has shitty stock parts.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com/forum.htm
jjdd101

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 6:48 am

what about we the people bikes are they any good
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2009-01-05

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:11 am

Yeah gap 100% if its not in your range i will try and find something out.

But vistagecko is right sealed rim will hold up in the long run. Plus it has a chromoly top and down tube.

So kink gap.
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com
jjdd101

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:20 am

k thanks so probly gonna get the gap in blue, gonna get new bars was think the animal piff's, then the animal pegs(got a friend who works at bike shop so i get discounts Razz) only thing is, i mean i know its a little stupid is i dont really dig the white with the blue, so maybe ill get new cranks as well, but im gonna get this in a few months so i have a while to figure out what ill do, also in the future if i got a new frame would i be able to salvage parts from the gap?
Back to top Go down
Vistagecko
Forum legend
Vistagecko

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-02-12

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:53 am

jjdd101 wrote:
k thanks so probly gonna get the gap in blue, gonna get new bars was think the animal piff's, then the animal pegs(got a friend who works at bike shop so i get discounts Razz) only thing is, i mean i know its a little stupid is i dont really dig the white with the blue, so maybe ill get new cranks as well, but im gonna get this in a few months so i have a while to figure out what ill do, also in the future if i got a new frame would i be able to salvage parts from the gap?

Yeah, you could transfer everything over, but the gap already has a light frame. A lighter frame would be really expensive. Also if you still wanted to know, We The People, in my opinion has the best stock bikes out there. Not including the really expensive shit (upwards of a grand).
Back to top Go down
https://we-bmx.forumotion.com/forum.htm
jjdd101

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:09 am

Vistagecko wrote:
jjdd101 wrote:

Yeah, you could transfer everything over, but the gap already has a light frame. A lighter frame would be really expensive. Also if you still wanted to know, We The People, in my opinion has the best stock bikes out there. Not including the really expensive shit (upwards of a grand).
o so shud i get that instead because i can get a discount i was thinking of lookin at the reason or crysis i think the most i would pay would be for the crysis ill also ask how much of discount he gets because i just give him the money and he does it, so after ive narrowed down to 1. Gap 2. Crysis, 3. reason which would be lighter and/or better, thanks u guys help ALOT!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:31 am

I kind of like we the people but they have crappy salt parts. I would prefer to get the gap though because its parts are better and i believe the cyrisis frame does not have chromoly top and down tube.
Back to top Go down
jjdd101

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:18 am

oo ok thanks i hope ill have enough cash left over cuz i deff want the animal piff bars and animal pedals
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:41 am

Yeah hope everything works out fine.
Back to top Go down
jjdd101

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:15 am

1 last question, whats w/ dan's comp bike weights they listed the gap 28. something lbs when i believe its around 26 lbs?? whats up w/ that
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:22 am

28.7 lbs but i think it has something to do with that being the whole shipping weight of the bike in the box. It should be around 27 lbs and i have some ways of making the bike even lighter if you ever want to lighten it up a bit.

I would reccomend it being about 28 for right now so you can build up some muscle and when you drop the weight with some weight saving techniques you will ride a little better.

Also feel free to ask as many questions as you like.
Back to top Go down
jjdd101

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:47 am

ha yea i guess i got mucle im pretty beefy, play football as center so gotta work out lose some weight but yea been practicin on my like 30 lb mtn bike, and whats the differenve of like a sealed cassete, cuz yea the kink has almost everything sealed, what happenes with unsealed cassettes, same w. rims? thanks
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:27 pm

oh yeah if you have some muscle already we can cut some more weight down.

As for sealed parts their are 15 times easier to fix if something on the rare chance goes wrong with the bearings. Basically sealed means the bearings are closed in a metal cassing like a skateboard bearing except a little bigger. So with sealed bearings dirt and sand cant find its way inside the bearing case like it would in an unsealed.

Also in unsealed bearings if a little grain of sand or anything gets in their it will roll around and make the bearings rough which will make all the other bearings rough aswell as the axle and hub. So with the unsealed the bearings will basically eat itself inside out and it wont be able to run.

With the sealed bearings though the bearings can get smashed in the sealed cassing but you have to ride really rough and you can replace them for about 12$ without doing damage to the rim like the unsealed so with sealed its 12$ with unsealed its 125$ because you will need a whole new hub and it will cost money to get it laced to the old rim.
Back to top Go down
scholzee
scholzee

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-01-21

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 8:44 pm

jjdd101 wrote:
what about we the people bikes are they any good

YES! They probably are bringing out the sexiest stock bikes this year. But dude. It depends on your price range. As Admin said the Kink Gap is probably your best option. But if you had the cash the WeThePeople Recon or Envy are the way to go. Both very good looking bikes and you won't have to change over anything until you want to.

Both feel nice to ride and both are aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
Back to top Go down
jjdd101

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:00 am

yea i dont think ill buy a bike that expensive most id spend would be around the 400 mark cuz im adding different parts to the gap for sure because the colors dont really please me but tht will be later on
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

which bike?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: which bike??   which bike?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

which bike??
Page 1 of 1